Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Viva Las Vegas 2012

It is that time of year again…the prep for Viva Las Vegas has begun. When I realized it is just over three months away, I panicked and bought a dress and some jeans since I had not bought anything new since last year. I always feel so unprepared yet it seems that preparation is all I do in the months prior; making lists, planning outfits, etc. I am rather excited this year about seeing the Big Six for the first time in probably 13 years or so. I remember seeing them some time in the late ‘90s in San Francisco. Who can forget those matching plaid suits! The Planet Rockers and Jack Baymoore are also a couple of our favorites as well as the Bellfuries. Always a pleasure to hear them play. And then this year...The Polecats! Super excited about that. Can't wait to see Boz Boorer (not just because he plays with Morrissey, he is an extremely talented musician and produces a lot of great music). There are many other bands in the lineup that I could go on about as well, but I just wanted to hit on a hand full.So glad the schedule is out on the viva website now!

I cannot forget to mention the Charles Phoenix slideshow. This guy is great! We saw him the first time he came to Viva and were in stitches from laughing so hard. Definitely a must see!

It is crazy when I think about how long Viva has been going. Ben and I went to our first Viva in 2000. We skipped the first two since I was not yet 21 and we did not realize that I probably could have gone underage in those early years. Back then we had the Greaseball in San Francisco which tided me over until I got to Viva in 2000. I am amazed as how much it has grown over the years. Definitely an improvement that it has been moved to the Orleans. The Gold Coast just was not big enough to hold it any more. I remember the last Viva I went to when it was still at the Gold Coast and it was damn near impossible to get a drink. Now we all know that with the Viva crowd, that is unacceptable! The Orleans has a pretty good selection of craft brews which makes Ben very happy. They also have plenty of places for him to watch the Sharks games that will inevitably be on while we are there.

The countdown is on. Happy planning everyone and we’ll see you in April!

Below are some photos of Vivas past. I am not sure the year on everything but I'll start with the most recent. (The old ones were actual photos, not digital, that were scanned)

The almighty Big Elvis at Bills! Highly recommend!

Margarita Madness
Definitely an end of the night shot years ago
with my good friend Nishone!

Me & Ben...geeze, I had some blonde hair!

Back when I always had one of these in my hand...
sure glad I quit close to 8 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment