Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Icebox Cake & Homemade Thin Mints

As just about anyone who knows me is aware, I do not cook so of course any time I make anything at all, no matter how easy, I am very proud of myself! I recently made two easy, no bake deserts and thought I’d share the simple recipes. 

Holding my Icebox Cake, beaming with pride!

I have made Icebox Cake before but it had been quite a while. It was my Great Grandmother’s signature dessert though I am sure she stole it from someone else back in the 40s. When searching the internet I see there are many varieties of Icebox Cake but I’ll stick to what I know when I make it again since it is just so darn good! This time making it was extra special as it was the first time I used my new to me, chrome Sunbeam Mixmaster that belonged to my friend’s grandmother who just passed away. Worked like a charm and my friend was very happy that I put it to good use!

The Homemade Thin Mint recipe I found in the last issue of Bust magazine that I bought. They reprinted it from Averie Cooks. So easy and so tasty! Who would have thought to use Ritz crackers! The people who I fed them to could not believe it.

So here are the recipes if anyone is interested...

Icebox Cake




















Ingredients: 
 - 2 squares unsweetened bakers chocolate
 - 1 cube sweet unsalted butter
 - 3/4 cup powdered sugar
 - 4 eggs
 - 1 Tsp vanilla
 - Lady Fingers (I ended up using two packages)
 - 1 container cool whip

What to do with those ingredients:
 - Melt the squares of chocolate and let cool.
 - Cream soft butter and add melted chocolate.
 - Using a mixer, gradually add powdered sugar.
 - Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well each time.
 - Add vanilla, finish beating.
 - Line round cake pan with lady fingers standing on edge.
 - Fill in the bottom of the pan with pieces of lady fingers to cover completely.
 - Pour in chocolate mixture. Refrigerate overnight(or for a few hours), top with cool whip.


Homemade Thin Mints
















Ingredients:
 - 18 Ritz Crackers
 - 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (to do these vegan, use Trader Joes chips)
 - 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
 - 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

What to do with those ingredients: 

 - Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.

 - In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening and heat for 1 minute on high power to melt. Stir and heat in 10 to 15 second bursts until chocolate can be stirred very smooth.

 - Add peppermint extract to the melted chocolate and stir. You can start with just ½ teaspoon of the extract and taste the chocolate first to see if that is already enough mint. I used the full ¾ teaspoon. Just be very careful not to get too much in your chocolate since the extract is extremely potent and too much can make your cookies taste like mouthwash.

 - Add 1 cracker to the chocolate and coat it. I used the suggestion from Bust magazine to use two forks so you can easily flip the cracker over to thoroughly coat both sides. Remove it by lightly scooping it up from the underside with a fork, allowing excess chocolate to drain off through fork tines. Place cracker on parchment and repeat with all remaining crackers.

 - If necessary, re-heat the chocolate in 10 to 15 second bursts if it starts getting too firm.

 - After all crackers have been dipped, place baking sheet in refrigerator.

 - Store extra Thin Mints in an airtight container in the refrigerator for many weeks. In the freezer, it is estimated that these could be kept for 3 to 6 months. These were so good though that they would never last that long in my house!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That icebox cake looks and sounds delicious! You should probably bring one to VLV... no? =)

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha...if only the rooms at the Orleans had refrigerators I could make it on the spot! ;-)

      Delete