Friday, April 5, 2013

Viva Las Vegas 16 Recap - Day 1

Well, I think I am pretty much recovered from Viva. I was the walking dead at work on Tuesday. So exhausted! We had such a fabulous time as always and I know I am already counting down to Viva #17 in 2014! In the meantime, I will start planning for the Rhythm Riot in England this November. Super excited for that!

We landed at noon Thursday, grabbed a rental car, and were on our way! We decided to rent a car just for Thursday rather than rack up a crazy amount in cab fares. First stop, the Vegas sign, finally! I have been going to Vegas since ’99 and this is the first time I have ever seen it in person since we always fly. We were representing the East Bay and Alameda with our Swell Bar and Harrington Saints shirts!




On to check-in at the Orleans. Didn’t take too long to get our room and wristbands. It was then a quick change and back to the car.

One of my most favorite dresses from Relic Vintage in San Francisco and the shoes I practically lived in all weekend (bought from Office in London years ago)...

Next stop, Aces and Ales. Being the beer nerd he is, Ben has been wanting to go here forever. It is a little far out so a cab ride would have been a rip off. I had the best caprese grilled cheese here. Good food and good beer.


Sorry hun, it is not real...


After killing time at Aces and Ales, we headed over to another long overdue dinner destination for us, The Golden Steer. Opened in 1958, this place was a favorite of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. We even got to sit in the Dean Martin booth! I was thrilled. Since I’m a veggie, I did not have much choice and settled for a baked potato and sautéed mushrooms. Ben on the other hand was in heaven with his steak. Before dinner we sat at the bar and had a Manhattan. The bartender told us we were conservative for rockabillies. I thought that was pretty funny. It was interesting to hear other locals’ takes on the whole Viva thing. Most seemed pretty happy to talk about it and were very welcoming. Not like the old days of the Gold Coast Vivas when it was not uncommon to hear some old regular tell us to go home.


Sadly the sign that usually hangs above the cow was gone. 
I am hoping it was just down for repairs...


Mmmm...doesn't this make you thirsty?

The Dean Martin booth!!!



When we finally got back to the Orleans, it was time to change and catch the Janice Martin tribute with Marti Brom and Rosie Flores. I did not get to see as much music as I would have liked to that night but the first day is always crazy. Still really enjoyed what we did get to see and we more than made up for it over the rest of the weekend.



Love this shot of Marti Brom belting out a Janis Martin tune!


Last band we caught Thursday. 
I think it is the West Coast Ramblers but ahhh my memory is so fuzzy...

I already felt like we did so much in the first day when we still had three more to go!

10 comments:

  1. Looks like great fun! I heard about the Golden Steer from a blogger and now want to try it. A few years ago the hubby and I ate at The Strip House. It's a burlesque themed steakhouse inside Planet Hollywood. Best steak, service, everything EVER.

    I'm hoping to talk my husband into and save up for VLV next year. I wanted to go this year but we went to Vegas to celebrate my mom's 50th b-day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can talk your husband into going next year! That's sweet you took your mom on a b'day trip to Vegas ;) Definitely keep the Golden Steer in mind and I might just have to try the Strip House next year. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Ooohhh!! The Golden Steer! A new place to go next year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely add it to your list ;) And you can reserve one of the famous booths if you want. That is how we got to dine in the Dean Martin booth!

      Delete
  3. You guys managed to fit a lot into day 1!!!! Our friends always go to the Golden Steer - I haven't been before, but maybe next year, as I've heard so many great things about it! Sad that we didn't run into each other last weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad we did not run into each other as well ;-( Any chance you are going to the Rhythm Riot in November??? I'll have to check in with you to see if any good gigs are happening in London around that time as well.

      Delete
    2. We are going to the Riot! Let's exchange contact details and we can meet up in London too, even if just for a drink!

      Delete
    3. Yay! That will be so much fun! My email addy is ratfinck65@ hotmail.com since I am not on facebook. We have UK mobiles as well so I can give you my number when we head your way so we can text and meet up. The Riot looks like it is going to be such a great time. Can't wait!

      Delete
  4. Great post!!! I loved the music this year. I also saw the Janis Martin tribute (she was a Virginia girl like me). I was in the front, to the left with my friend Jennie and her friend, Michelle. Marti has such a great voice! I have always wanted to go to the Golden Steer but maybe next year. I know my husband the steak lover would like it. I am a pescatarian though. I would definitely have a drink! I also noticed that everyone (locals) were really nice and friendly. All the cab drivers asked me and Big Daddy (the husband) a lot of questions and told us to have fun. I still cannot believe it's over already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! I can't believe it has already come and gone as well. So much good music this year! We were probably right by each other during the Janis Martin tribute ;) I should have my post about Friday at Viva up soon!

      Delete