Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wine Spodeeodee - Bottling Time!


Wow, this is my 100th post.  Hooray!  To mark this milestone I'll tell you a bit about one of our activities this past Memorial Day weekend, mostly in pictures.
 
Seems like forever ago that we were sorting grapes and de-stemming them at Amador Cellars so it was hard to believe the time to bottle was finally here! My in-laws live fairly close to a ton of fabulous wineries in Amador County located in the Sierra Foothills, mainly known for Zinfandels. This winery in particular has a program where you pay to make your very own barrel of wine and are involved in all of the steps along the way. Ben and I have unfortunately not been able to be there for all of the steps since it often happened during the work week but have had the opportunity to taste it along the way in its various stages whenever we were in town wine tasting. There was no way we were going to miss the final step of bottling though!

Amador Cellars



baby grapes...aren't they cute?

Here are the vines that the grapes to make our wine came from.

Inside where our barrel has lived...
 
The hose transporting our wine down to be bottled.
 
the Holt family hard at work...

 
drinking on the job while my niece photo bombs...

 
I was taking my job very seriously.  Here I am shooting nitrogen in the
bottles before filling them up
 
Ben taking corking the bottles very seriously as well...
 
Tip it!  The guy from the winery making sure we get every last drop.
 
Ta da!  I'm leaning on the 24 cases we bottled.
 
precious cargo...


One of my new best friends...

I didn't think my foot would be that comfy
but it was good enough for this puppy.

My other new best friend...

 

In a recently built farmhouse on the property...

 
I have to say I never thought I would be one to enjoy wine tasting until we were taken around to the Amador wineries years back. These places are often family owned and operated and the tastings are free (unless you are some bachelorette party or a group along those lines). Of course we always end up buying a bottle wherever we go. Most of the wineries are not trying to be some fake villa in Italy and embrace their California roots. I’ll never forget the first time we went to Story Winery and there was actually an old man, perhaps a family member, in overalls looking the part sitting on the porch telling stories. I couldn’t believe it was for real. Another of our favorites is Borjon Winery in Plymouth, a newer winery owned by a Mexican-American family who came to the area over 30 years ago. The father began as a vineyard worker and must be so proud his son now runs their very own winery. What a success story! Their logo is a cowboy silhouette in tribute to the father. Love it!
 
After all that hard work, we are supposed to wait a year so to let the wine get to a really good point.  Of course I think we may drink some of it before then since it already tastes pretty darn good.  So hard to be patient.
 
Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to live so close to wine country. I miss that daily when I think about my time living in Italy. Great weekend highlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome you got to live in Italy! I would be missing that as well.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like great fun! Looks like you guys had lots of fun and made good friends with the doggies.

    We've been getting into wine lately. I tend to like a lighter, sweeter wine. Oh, and dessert wines. I love dessert wines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine can be so much fun! There are so many different varieties out there it amazes me. Good thing Zinfandel is one of my favorite reds since we have so much of it now!

      Delete
  3. This looks like a fun day out - so cool that you got to be involved in the actual process of making your own wine! I don't know how on earth you are going to wait a whole year to crack into those drinks though...! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we'll end up giving in and drinking at least some of it. A year is an awful long time. Too long to wait in my opinion! ;-)

      Delete