Friday, June 21, 2013

USS Hornet Museum



After all these years we finally made a visit to the USS Hornet Museum right here in Alameda. Commissioned in 1943 and the eighth ship to bear the name, the USS Hornet played a huge role in the Pacific during World War II. It also was involved in the Korean War, Vietnam, and recovering astronauts from the Apollo program after they came back to earth. Now it serves as a fantastic museum. Much of the ship is self-guided but there are certain areas that require a docent lead tour. We took two docent lead tours: the engine room and the gun tour. The docent who lead the engine room tour served on the ship during Vietnam and I think also for some of the Apollo recovery missions. He said on their way back to the states from the war the ship was filled with Honda 450 motorcycles they picked up while over there before they were available in the states. So cool! If you ever visit the museum, make sure to wear decent shoes. There is much climbing of steep stairs between levels. I would have had one hell of a time if I was not wearing flats. This is one place we will definitely go back and visit. We are so lucky to have such a place right here in town!

Get ready for a bunch of photos!







That's one tough looking hornet...

The hornet theme continues...



Mobile quarantine facility for Apollo 14.



They say the ship is haunted...

Sorry hun, I think the kitchen is closed.

Not the cosiest looking set of bunks.

These signs cracked me up...


Engine Room

The catapult that sends the planes on their way off the flight deck.

Anchors aweigh!
 
View of the city...

On the gun tour...

It was so windy up on the flight deck that 
we were getting pushed all over the place!


13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! I bought a Groupon for the Hornet a few months back (4 admissions for the price of 2 - awww yeah!) and I've yet to use it... waiting for the weather to warm up. I'm excited to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! Waiting for warm weather is a very good idea. I would have liked to have spent more time up on the flight deck but it was cool and oh so windy. It would be perfect on a warm summer day ;-)

      Delete
  3. So very cool! Love your cute nautical outfit. I've been wanting to check out the Hornet for years and haven't quite made it. Now I want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gabriella! I figured a bit o' the red, white, and blue was in order ;-) Now that we finally went I can't believe we did not make it there sooner!

      Delete
  4. Very cool. The hubby, my father-in-law, and I went on the Queen Mary and the Scorpion submarine in Long Beach. I loved the Queen Mary but was really impressed with the Scorpion. It was amazing how small some of those places were and that men sleep eat and worked there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on the Queen Mary when I was a kid! I need to go back as an adult so I can appreciate it more. I was not too impressed as a 6 year old little girl ;-) The Scorpion sounds really interesting! Hopefully I can check it out one of these days.

      Delete
  5. This is one very cool post! And so informative! I love the pictures! They totally capture the history of this amazing ship! I am a huge history buff and I would love to be able to go visit the Hornet one day! Whenever I watch documentaries on how the Navy helped retrieve the astronauts, I am fascinated. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the compliments on my post, Tara! Glad you enjoyed it. You should definitely visit the Hornet if you are ever in the area. It is just across the water from San Francisco ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elisa, I nominated you for a Liebster award. You're awesome:) You can click back to my blog for more info, if you'd like to play it forward. If not, I totally get this too. I've been nominated before but now thought it was time to answer the questions:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much again, Joanna! I will try to get around to answering the questions one of these days ;-) I really enjoyed reading your answers!

      Delete
  8. What a fun time and great photos. Though I will say, they don't make me yearn for my days in the Navy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were in theNavy? Wow! I definitely would not survive having to live on an aircraft carrier or any boat for that matter. Nice to just be a visitor ;-)

      Delete