Thursday, August 15, 2013

The wonder of iron-on mending fabric!



This is probably not new to many people but I was so excited it worked so I wanted to share!  A year and a half or so ago I bought this amazing vintage bolero with scenes of London on it. Perfect! But then I wore it for all of an hour at Viva Las Vegas in 2012 and it ripped. I was very sad about it and thought there was no way to repair it since it was not on the seam. Then I bought a dress off of etsy that came with a bit of iron-on mending fabric on it where the material was a bit shredded and I realized there was hope for my London bolero after all! Thankfully the bolero is made of cotton so it can withstand the heat needed for this process since many things I have would not be tough enough to take it. 

close up of the awesome fabric (I would kill to have a skirt made of this!)


before...the devastating rip through London scenery...



 
had to place paper underneath so I did not glue it to my ironing board...

cut out and ready to iron...

after...

Though of course you can still see where the tear is, you would have to look really close and make me lift my arm which I do not plan on doing ever again while wearing this bolero!

Now that I have a sewing machine and just figured out how to use it, well...kind of, I hope to do more than just mend things and actually create something (other than curtains) for once! 

8 comments:

  1. My mom used those patches for my dad's work jeans. They worked great but she always zig-zagged the edges for more durability. It is a wonderful print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could get my hands on more of this fabric! Maybe I'll luck out some day and find some ;-)

      Delete
  2. Such an amazing print! I've been loving my iron-on mending fabric. I've been meaning to pick up the black one for a while now. I got quite the stack of dark vintage to mend with that stuff. It's such an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! I couldn't beleve the print when I found it on etsy. Keep on mending! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Actually this is new to me, thank you for sharing! :) You and your blog are lovely, many greetings from Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caramella! You are adorable! Happy to introduce you to this easy way to mend ;-)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, what a great mend! I can certainly see why you'd want to save this beauty. What a great novelty print! I love these kind of prints that have a different appeal far away then you get closer and then you really see the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hope it doesn't rip somewhere else the next time I wear it ;-)

    ReplyDelete