Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Niles, Antiques, and Tyme for Tea!


If you have not heard of Niles, think Charlie Chaplin, Broncho Billy Anderson, silent movies and you have it! It is a historic part of Fremont, California, known for its film history and a fair amount of antique stores. Niles was home to one of the first West Coast movie companies. You can even see Niles spelled out in giant letters on the hillside in the spirit of the Hollywood Sign. Thankfully places such as the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum keep the history alive. We attended a silent film there once accompanied by a live pianist and it was great fun.

Recently I had the idea of going with my mom there for a day of shopping as well as having tea at Tyme for Tea, an antique store that also serves a three course tea service. Tea and shopping...yes please!


I'll get my outfit out of the way first!

Shoes: Miss L Fire
...and Bakelite!




A bit of shopping before tea...





If this was a '65 it would have gone home with me! 
I love the '63 as well though...



So many beautiful lady head vases but oh so expensive!

Picked up a few gems that had to come home with me.  
This little confetti Lucite pill box to start...

Been wanting a bag like this and it is in perfect shape!

 And the winner of the day... this Elgin compact, hardly used, with a scene of Hollywood on it!  How could this not go home with me?!  Thanks mom!


 

We had such a nice time and will have to this together again some day!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time. I have always wanted to do a tea at a tea shop but it can be expensive. There's only tea house in Orange county and it was upwards of $60 for a three course tea. Per person. So yeah, I passed.

    Your finds are awesome. I love vintage compacts. So pretty and much more interesting than a plastic one. That purse is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $60 per person sounds crazy! Thankfully we were able to share one tea service for only $23! Definitely not the fanciest tea place but still super fun :)

      Delete
  2. Wow that compact is so lovely! So unusual in design and shape - I have never seen one like it! I had never heard of Niles before, but I will have to check out the antique malls there, next time I visit the bay area! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t believe it when I saw that compact! Perfect to accompany me on all of my Hollywood trips in the future!

      Delete
  3. What a fun day out! I had heard of the film museum, but I didn't know there was SHOPPING in Niles. I'll have to convince the Monkey that we need an East Bay adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niles is a bit out of the way but still fun. I was actually really impressed with some of the antiques stores. I used to shop there regularly years ago since I grew up not too far from there (in good ol’ Newark) and it has definitely improved! Not sure the name, but my favorite shop was almost to the end of the little strip when you get into town.

      Delete