Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hollywood in Kodachrome


Over the weekend we stopped into our local bookstore and I found something I just simply could not live without, Hollywood in Kodachrome by David Wills and Stephen Schmidt. I was stopped dead in my tracks by a gorgeous color portrait of Lauren Bacall gracing the cover. I’m pretty sure I heard her say “You must buy me”. Who could say no to Lauren?  I bought it for the cover price of $40 from Books Inc. but if you do not have a local bookseller in your neighborhood it is available form Amazon as well.

Over 300 pages in length, it is chock full of the most amazing Kodachrome prints from the 1940s. I can only guess as to how many hours I'll spend studying these pages. The black and white Hollywood portraits of the 1940s are wonderful as well but if you have ever found yourself asking “I wonder what color that fabric is” or “What color lipstick is she wearing” you will love this book! These vibrant portraits leave nothing to the imagination.

This will be the last post for a bit as we are off to the England for the Rhythm Riot and to kick around London.  Stay tuned for those travel posts upon my return!  I'll try to keep posting on Instagram while I am gone if I can seek out free wi-fi.  In the meantime, I leave you with some stunning examples I snapped from my copy of Hollywood in Kodachrome. Enjoy!

 












7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of beautiful women. Have lots of fun and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mariela! So excited right now!

      Delete
  2. Love ALL of those photos! So beautiful and the colors are stunning! They give me amazing hair, makeup, and clothing inspiration!

    How exciting that you are off to the UK! I am so happy (and jealous!) for you! Have an amazing time! Take lots of photos! And be sure to get some Cadbury's Roses for yourself to take home! My aunties in the UK and Ireland always bring me Roses when they visit the US. Hershey's has NOTHING on Cadbury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could bring this book on the plane with me! Can't wait to study it when we get back!

      I will for sure take many photos and share them on here! And I strongly agree, Cadbury is far superior! I end up eating way too much every time we go to the UK. But then again, it is not like I go there to be healthy ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh my god now I need this book!

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to hear how much you enjoy the book too! Us vintage enthusiasts must stick together:) Isn't it wonderful to see the lipsticks and prints come to life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so exciting to see it all come to life on those pages. And some of those fabrics just blew me away!

      Yes, we must stick together! So fun all of the tips and things we learn from one another :)

      Delete