Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Mountain View Cemetery

Grave of the Black Dahlia

Last month we visited MountainView Cemetery in Oakland, founded in 1863. This place is absolutely amazing! What Highgate in London would be if it had been carefully tended to at all times (though I love Highgate just the way it is!). We drove through it briefly before but I had been dying (poor choice of words?) to get back and walk around in search of Elizabeth Short’s grave, known to most as the Black Dahlia. Such a gruesome murder from the 1940s. I’m an avid reader of 1940s crime fiction so this true crime of that era fascinates me. She is not easy to find (Section 66, Marker 798) but fortunately Ben spotted a vase with dead flowers (black dahlias???) and it happened to be the spot. When you find the Hillside Mausoleum, go up around the right side of it, up the hill and she will be up on the left, behind the Mausoleum. Hard to describe but hopefully there is always a vase there. I’ve included a map below from the cemetery website that will give you a rough idea.

I cannot recommend visiting this cemetery enough! So fun to explore with beautiful views as well! I look forward to our next visit.


"A dreaded sunny day so I'll meet you at the cemetry gates..."












Merritt tomb...







'Come back to Camden...'

Amazing views of the bay...

'Only the ashes...'




Perhaps the smallest head stone of them all...'Our Nannie'

She is found...The Black Dahlia!


As I mentioned above, when you find the Hillside Mausoleum, go up around the right side of it (marked in pink on the below map), up the hill and she will be up on the left, behind the Mausoleum.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! Makes me want to visit this weekend to try and find her grave. I still haven't seen it. I always enjoy my visits to that cemetery. It's so beautiful, peaceful. And it's so big, there's always new areas to discover. I've also been tempted to wear work out clothes and try to do some jogging, it can be quite the exercise with those inclines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I wish I would have taken more photos of the surrounding area so you could get a better idea of where she is. It definitely was quite a workout that day we went! Good luck on your next search!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty. I used to live right next to a cemetery and I loved going there and looking at all of the lovely old tombstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many beautiful ones there! I definitely need to go back and spend more time finding new ones we missed! It could take a life time to go through them all :)

      Delete
  3. I love visiting cemeteries and this one looks like a real beauty!!!! I too am fascinated by the Black Dahlia. We drove by the Sowden House in Hollywood not too long ago; the son of the doctor who lived there believes his father murdered Ms. Short in the house!!!!!!! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super crazy he thinks his father did it! And in the Sowden House?!?! Been meaning to drive by there on one of our trips down south. I’m definitely going to need to go by there now! Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  4. This cemetery is gorgeous. I have been there before, and two things that really stood out for me (apart from it being very beautiful) were, 1) you can drive through it! This is sooo American! 2) Palm trees in a cemetery! Soooo Californian! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yep! You definitely know it’s in California when cars and palm trees are involved! Glad you had the chance to go there. I can’t wait to go back! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! This cemetery is indeed nothing short of amazing!

    We ALMOST went to this cemetery on our way home, but time was not on our side. ONE DAY! Until think I will just drool over your pictures!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, next time you must go! You do need time to really enjoy it though so it was probably better to skip it if you needed to get home. Hope you enjoyed your road trip through California! I hope to get to Portland one of these days!

      Delete