Thursday, August 14, 2014

Oakland Museum of California


Last month we had a fun day in Oakland visiting a couple of places I have been meaning to go back to forever, The Oakland Museum of California and the Mountain View Cemetery. I was going to include both in this post but realized I had way too many photos so I'll cover the cemetery separately.  I had not been to the museum since the big remodel was completed. I’m not even sure I have been in the main body of the museum since elementary school! The main thing that drew me back was a temporary exhibit on Vinyl but I had the most fun in the Gallery of California History.



I walked in and this was playing...someone must have known I was coming!

I need one of these for the T-Bird!

Themed crates like these all over.  This one is "She's a Rebel: From Girl Group to Grrl Power" and "Hella Oakland rap Music"

"First you limp to the side like your leg was broken..."  Hella Oakland!

A wall to put your favorites...someone beat me to tagging The Smiths...

So I tagged Sonic Youth...


From another portion of the museum...Art on a bed sheet.
 
The California wing...


From the nearby sign "This custom car was once a 1951 Ford Victoria Hardtop, until Joe Bailon customized it in 1956.  It's called the 'Mystery Car' because no one could identify all the parts he used..."



Ben getting psychedelic in the 1960s section...
 
Of course there is lots more, but it can get quite dull looking at photos of another's museum trip so go have a look for yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, right?!?! So detailed and beautiful! Of course it drew me in with the 'Morrissey' tattoo on her arm :)

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh! I need to come here one day! Thanks for blogging about it!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! The museum is not too terribly big so it’s manageable. You can go there, then visit the Black Dahlia afterwards on your next visit! That’s what we did and it made for a wonderful day in Oakland! :)

      Delete